Thursday, October 20, 2005

Paving The Way

Paving the Way Day 6

Today was Day 6 and it has been stressful but oh, so much fun!  Yesterday night, we mistakenly ended up at the location on church grounds where we thought we were to be staying and after unloading the truck and staking out sleeping spots, we found that we were in the wrong building!  We were supposed to be about 4 blocks away.  Sheila had already gone in, taken a shower and was in her pajamas!  Absolutely hilarious!!!!  I kept thinking to myself that there was no way in hell anyone would ever just leave their doors unlocked like that in New York.  Every time I think about it I get the giggles.

Well, that little tiny sidetrack cost us a few hours and the day had been long already; we went to sleep at about 1:45am only to be up and out by 7:30.  Today was blessedly short, but I can see the strain on my fellow marchers; I’ve been marching when I can but have mainly stuck to helping out in the I.T. van since my huge blisters are still healing and on top of everything my back went out on the second day, so I’m trying to help in other ways.  I can see how the walking is taking a toll but I am happy to report that no one is trying to be a martyr and we have people taking breaks and resting in the sweep vans that follow the marchers.

The roads have been tight and potentially dangerous and when one is walking on the road, you really do feel a sense of security and it’s very easy to mislead yourself into thinking that you cannot be hit.  Seeing the marchers from the perspective of being in the van however, is a very different reality.  It is so easy to hit one of the marchers (not that we have) and you can very easily see a car operating at average speed taking a swipe at someone who is even a smidgen off course.

We all have bonded in different ways and levels and we are only at the beginning.  If nothing else, this experience will have taught me to give more of myself. These strangers that have housed and fed us have and continue to unashamedly not only give of themselves, but I am now just realizing, are looking to us to do something.  

What struck me tonight were words I have heard repeated over the past 6 days: “I wish I could do what you do.”  I realized at that moment that part of the reason for which we only have approximately 20 people doing this entire march, is because of some kind of lack of conviction on some level.  I have children and a husband, bills, a job and school meetings to attend to not to mention laundry, homework to sign, dinner and dishes.  But I made this happen.  There was no question in my mind.  So, I wonder….what would it take to solidify someone’s conviction to a cause, to a 21 day march?  Does it take a death?  Of your spouse, mother, father, brother, sister, best friend, lover, child?  What does it take?

Dianalynn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home