Sunday, October 30, 2005

Paving The Way

Soul of the South Day 13

Day 13

We just had a prayer service in Phenix City Alabama/Georgia.  I don’t know if I should be posting this, but I was quite offended.  Most of the prayer service was preaching about God’s love, and God’s healing and spreading the good news and the bible.  Well, I’m not a Christian and I don’t think it’s right for someone to preach to me about spreading the Christian word.  I believe that religion is in each person’s heart.  I’m not knocking anyone’s religion by day, but the reason we are here in Phenix City is to end AIDS, not preach the bible.  We didn’t say one word about what we are headed to DC for.  In fact, I doubt if half of the room today knew we were going to DC.  I don’t believe in forcing people to a specific religion, and I feel that today the local event was more about religion, than it was ending AIDS.  One lady stood up today out of all the people there, and she said she wasn’t Christian, she was Buddhist.  She said that although she wasn’t Christian each religion had a “golden rule”.  Her quote was “Plant a tree under someone’s shade that you don’t expect to rest.”  I thought that was touching.  I’m not Buddhist either, but she recognized that not EVERYONE in the room was Christian.  I really admire her; I’m glad she said what she said.

The event today made me think about our current administration.  Our government was formed with a separation between Church and State.  Under our current admin., that line has been blurred.  Our president pushes his moral views (ie abstinence) and religious beliefs, which in turn, is killing people.  Abstinence is not working, and our current admin. continues to fund abstinence based programs.  We need prevention based on scientific facts rather than ideology.  I felt really pressured today into conforming to the majority of the room.  I felt stifled, because I was afraid to speak up against this majority.  I don’t want to feel like that anymore.  I WON’T BE STIFLED!  I WON’T CONFORM!  I WON’T DIE!

 

 

Chris Rothermel

Host Committee Organizer: Soul of the South, Houston
Campaign to End AIDS
rothermel.c@gmail.com

 

1 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, Blogger Melanie Alamo said...

Innovative and Comprehensive Sports Scores and News By Voice - By Phone From ifbyphone
Sports fans are just a phone call away from the latest scores and sports news. ifbyphone's Content on Command service is available anytime, anywhere.
Find out how to buy and sell anything, like things related to road construction colorado on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like road construction colorado!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home