Friday, October 21, 2005

Paving The Way

Soul of the South Day 5

Day 5

7:30 AM

Houston's local event was fun! We got into Houston around 1 (from Austin). Chuck and Larry went to Larry's house, and I went to mine. After hours of running around getting everything I had to do done (remember I wasn't expecting to do the WHOLE caravan), Robert came home. We hung out for a bit, then I had to leave to go to the Houston event. It went really well. Our event was called "Community Coming Together". A bunch of the ASO/CBOs got together and we had dinner, and basically hung out and talked about our agencies. We had a local Hare Krsna temple come and prepare us food. It was sooo yummy. Larry was afraid at first, but when he saw it he said, "I'll never make fun of Krsna food again!" I told him... :) Larry made a short speech on the importance of collaboration and communication. Everyone agreed that the agencies in Houston (and across the country) are very fragmented. We need to stop worrying about status quo's (dunno if I spelled that right, and I'm too lazy to look it up:P), and fighting over grants, federal and state money. The only way to End AIDS is to come together in one voice and understand each other. We also got a bunch more of the rep/senator cards filled out. It was good to see Nike, Stephanie, and Leon. I won't be seeing them for awhile. After that we went to a nearby radio station and hung up a couple of posters. Then they brought me home to finish laundry, packing etc. I'll miss you Robert :) Well, here I am at 7:30 AM getting the final arrangements ready to do the rest of the caravan. I hope I packed everything! I'm going to be lazy and copy and paste part of an e-mail I sent to Naomi that tells how I feel about the Soul of the South so far.
This caravan is so uplifting. I wish lots more people could be on them. It’s so fulfilling to see people like me out there. I’ve been on the verge of tears several times since I started in Brownsville. It’s been so much fun. There is so much emotion just everywhere. People all over the place keep hugging me, e-mailing me, calling me, just to say that they are proud of me, but I don’t understand. I had to do this. I wasn’t planning on doing the whole caravan, but I knew I had to be a part of C2EA. Once the caravan started, I realized that this was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and without a full time job (and having school online), I had to do the caravan. I want to represent all of the people displaced by Katrina, all of the young people affected/infected that can’t be on the caravans. This opportunity will live on inside me forever.
Hand in hand, in the fight against AIDS

-Chris

Well, we are going to 2 meetings this morning (State of Emergency, and Title 2 CAB) to drum up more support for C2EA. I think this is the most important part of the caravans, people actually seeing our face, meeting people, letting them know that C2EA will be around until we End AIDS.
I talked to Rico from Austin (he's such a cutie) and he said that he saw me on TV. I think I'm gonna write them to ask for a copy to send to my mom and dad.
*shoutout to my people from New Orleans!*
Don't forget I'm still fundraising:

http://members.campaigntoendaids.org//rothermel_c

on the flip side!
-C

 

Chris Rothermel

rothermel.c@gmail.com

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home