Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Paving The Way

Soul of the South Day 15

Day 15

9:00 AM         

Man, I’ve been on the caravan 15 days.  This experience has made me want to travel for awhile.  Maybe I can get a job as a field organizer like Larry.  That’d be cool.  Well if the south is the bible belt, then Atlanta has been called the buckle.  I guess it lived up to its name.  Lots of religious groups have been at everything we’ve done.  Yesterday we went to the Martin Luther King Center yesterday for a press conference.  Larry, Kendal, Jeff Graham, and some other religious leaders spoke about C2EA and HIV/AIDS.  Most of the pastors/priests/reverends (is there a word that is inclusive of all?) are really awesome.  I like how passionate they are about HIV/AIDS.  I’ve only met a couple of them, that bothered me.  I don’t like when people push their religion on me.  I recognize the passion they have for their calling, but that’s it THEIR calling.  When people try to push me into something I’m not, it bothers me.  I have my own spirituality, and I’m willing to talk to people about it, but only if they ask.  My religion is between my god and me.  I need to give credit however, to everyone that is getting the prevention/activism messages through to their religious community.  However it works for them, as long as they don’t discriminate.  I’m glad that religion is not hampering many communities in the south about ending this pandemic.  Last night we had a speakout at the capital in Atlanta.  It was very powerful.  Many people spoke/signed their story.  It moved me so much.  Jeff Graham is one hell of an activist.  We are now on our way to pick up Kendal and Larry.  I met them at the Youth Action Institue.  It’s so awesome how we’re slowly getting connected to our family again.  Casey from Shreveport called me last night, I called him back this morning, and he was like “I’m on the caravan!”  I also talked to Dani from the YAI and he was like oh my god chris!!!!!  I’m almost overwhelmed with excitement.  So far I’ve spoken with/met up with: Dani, Heather, Casey, Asia, Shannan, Kendal, Larry, Maralis, anyone else?  When we meet in Richmond with 7 other caravans, we are gonna go nuts!

Columbia here we come, get ready!

 

 

Chris Rothermel

Host Committee Organizer: Soul of the South, Houston
Campaign to End AIDS

rothermel.c@gmail.com

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home